lifestyle Green House Blue Planet 5th June 2017

Clearly I’m a hippy at heart. But I feel a huge sense of responsibility to this Earth and the thought that I’m contributing to the ever increasing pollution problem and the UNDENIABLE climate change issue makes me so sad inside.

Being just one little person on a planet with 6+ billions others and trying to think of ways I can personally help is a bit of a mind field, and I do my part.  I recycle, I try my very best not to waste food or water, I’m a Vegetarian with Vegan intentions, I buy most things 2nd hand if I can, I bought a car that produces TINY emissions and would like to swap to a hybrid if I could ever afford one. But one of the biggest things I overlooked was the energy that gets supplied to my house.

A lot of people don’t really look beyond the big 6 (British Gas, EDF Energy, E.ON, Npower, Scottish Power and SSE) because no-one wants to waste their time with bollocks like that.  You want to pay your direct debits and be done with it.  But I came across a “little” company called Octopus Energy when I was doing an Energy Comparison when my prices went sky high (fuck off am I paying £100+ when there are 2 people in the house!) and I really fell in love with their ethos and thought.. they’re right for me. They share my values.

Octopus are a completely renewable energy supplier and began in 2011 when they we built their first solar generation plant. Since then they’ve gone on to build 154 solar farms in the UK and another 66 projects in France.
I think they’re also one of the only companies in the UK to have a true green tariff which is “The Super Green Octopus Tariff”. This offers 100% renewable electricity, and full carbon offsets for gas. This means that from an energy point of view your home is carbon neutral – leaving no footprint on the planet. Yey!

The farms they’ve funded generate 40% of all the UK’s large scale solar! – enough to power over a quarter of a million homes when the sun shines!. They also invest in Wind generation, Anaerobic digestion plants (which use the natural breakdown of plant waste to make electricity), “Rapid response” gas generation (which is crucial to balance supply when there’s no wind and sun and helps to keep your lights on!).  Not to mention they are dirt cheap.  I cut my energy bills in half.  I pay £55 a month and that’s it.. I think I’m around £150 in credit as well which they’re more than happy to refund you if you need it.

The inspiration for this post was a little email they sent me in honour of United Nations World Environment Day.  It showed me that by swapping with them, 50% of the energy supplied to my house is renewable and greenhouse friendly.
88% of that energy Solar, with the remaining 12% being Anaerobic Digestion. And at 50% renewable electricity my household has released 348kg less CO2 than I would have with the typical UK supplier. That’s the same impact as 174 trees! This makes me a very happy bunny.

[ Click Here for a Green House! ]

If you like the sound of all this lovely stuff and wanted to give them a try, click the link above and they’ll give us both £15 if you sign up. Paid directly into your bank account, so you can actually make use of it. Another yey!

Tags : , , , , , ,

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply